Sunday, August 29, 2010

Loco Moose 5K Concord NH 2010


Things went... well. My time was 35:15, which is a 11:23 pace. Over 3 minutes faster than my last 5K about two weeks ago. I'm pleased, but not really happy. Still there was too much walking. The first mile I did in a little over 10 minutes, so again out of the shute too fast. My exercise program spoke into my ear and said "Your average speed is 6mph" and at that point I knew I was in trouble. I have very limited reserves and using them to push that pace on the first mile spells doom for the next two. I think I had to start walking at the 1.3 mile mark, I was so pissed at myself. For all the exercise I do, I should be able to run longer than I do. So I did my normal walk / run thing.

I would have come in a few seconds faster but I felt stupid / rude zooming past this little 16 year old girl at the last few seconds, so I just let her keep her lead. Despite my not being able to run long distances, I have a good finishing 200 meter speed. I just don't like to use it for evil.

Here are the results:

It was a good event. I won a raffle. Grabbed the book that was on the prize table, should have grabbed one of the mugs.

Sad things from the results:
I'm the last Male to finsh the race.
I'm the last in my age group by far (next closest guy was 5 minutes ahead of me)

Next 5K in another two weeks. I don't foresee another 3 minute improvement. I'll shoot for 1.

EDIT: I think the race was mis-measured. My GPS on my phone measures everything pretty accurately, and it measured 2.98 miles. My GPS hit the 1 mile mark and 2 mile mark right on the button with what they measured. And when I think back to the race instructions, I thought we were suppose to go on the far side of a building instead of where we went. So my "PR" of 35:15 was pretty much BS. I was in back (big red guy in the picture) so I was just a lemming following the pack.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't get discouraged. If you are used to running on the treadmill - it's hard to run outside. I'm a slow runner (my 5k times are very close to yours) and I still take walk breaks when I run outside. Tonight I ran 45 minutes with no walk breaks on the treadmill - tomorrow when I do a long run (in your town as I'm from there as well - saw the marker from the beginners forum google map), I will take walk breaks often.